The 19th-century collections in the Museum of Capodimonte
The National Museum of Capodimonte houses a new, 19th-century collection.
The new section has been arranged on the ground floor of the southern part of the museum, access to which is permitted by a suggestive hexagonal staircase. The rooms in which the exposition is presented, called “piano matto”, were the private apartments of the royal court in the period of Bourbons and House of Savoy. In 1816 they hosted an apartment of Ferdinand I and then of his nephew, Princes Carolina that, once married Charles of Montemolin in 1850, spent here all her Neapolitan sojourns.
In the period of the Savoy reign, the interns were destined to other noble branch, Dukes of Aosta, that sojourned here until 1948. The present aspect of the rooms underlines its 19th-century character, with a view of the park, the city and of monumental patio of the royal palace. The interns, housing more than two hundred paintings, sculptures, furniture and precious clothes, have more intimate dimension, different from representative Real Apartments on the higher floors of the palace. The new section completes the collection of selected works of 19th-century art, displayed today on the third floor of the museum, being called “Galleria di Arte Moderna”, founded after the Unification of Italy in order to expose the works of contemporary artists.
Entering the exposition one may notice works of the first half of the 19th century, for instance paintings representing figures and interns. The next room evokes the royal study adorned with precious furniture and paintings of so-called “scuola di Posillipo” (“Posillipo school”- depicting Neapolitan landscapes). Inside the bigger rooms there is a display of watercolour paintings of “royal sites” of Bourbons and landscapes representing Scuola di Resina (“Resina school”), as well as of paintings by some famous artists of that period Domenico Morelli, Filippo Palizzi, Gioacchino Toma, Michele Cammarano, Antonio Mancini, Vincenzo Gemito and Vincenzo Migliaro, who contributed to create the national artistic language, based on social, psychological and naturalistic realism. The next room introduces the theme of orientalism and presents female portraits of the late 19th century. The penultimate room is arranged as if it was a library with a restored furniture from Reggia di Portici palace, belonging once to Queen Maria Carolina. The display closes with an homage to the major benefactors of the museum collection.